Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Travel Tuesday - Monterrico, Guatemala

The weather has been pretty crappy lately - it rains almost every single day. I know, I know it's the rainy season, but it seems like it starts earlier every year. And it probably does - thank you, climate change! Anyway, I'm really craving a vacation. A warm, sunny beach and a nice, cold drink. So today we're going to Monterrico Guatemala!

Monterrico is a teeny town on the Pacific coast of Guatemala. It sits on a gorgeous volcanic black sand beach. I visited Monterrico for the first time about five years ago and that was also my first time seeing a black sand beach. Most people rave about white sand beaches, and they're totally beautiful too, but there's something really cool about the black sand. It's so different and, as a geoscientist, I find the history slightly more exciting than typical white sand beaches.


The drive from Antigua (or the city) to Monterrico is pretty amazing on it's own. You drive on highways that pass between the volcanoes.
Fuego puffing on the left and Acatenango on the right.

Once we get to Monterrico, we always go to a little hotel and restaurant called Johnny's Place. Seth has been going there for many years and after he took me there on our first trip, I've always loved going back. The restaurant is right on the sand so you can relax in the beach chairs or hammocks and enjoy a big, cold drink. Margarita's are good but a limonada con soda works too!


The surf is pretty intense along this part of the coast of Central America. The waves seem HUGE compared the East Coast of the United States. I'm afraid to go in the water beyond ankle level. It's a lot of fun to just sit, watching and listening to the waves though.



If you ever get a chance to visit Guatemala, I highly recommend a day trip (at least) to Monterrico. It's a super laid-back atmosphere and, like most of Guatemala, pretty inexpensive to stay and play there!

Damn. This just makes me want to have a beach day even more. Luckily, I live about a quarter of a mile from the coast so if we ever get a nice day I can make it happen! 





No comments:

Post a Comment