Friday, July 19, 2013

So Magical

This post is going to be a bit of a bitchfest.

I'm really, really, really getting tired of people who act like I should just stop worrying and be happy that our doctor wants us to pursue fertility treatments. Have I mentioned how difficult of a time I am having making a decision about it (yes, yes that's sarcasm)? But some people - family, friends, internet strangers - seem to think that I should be excited or feel privileged that we're having testing done and may start seeking treatment. They act like using fertility treatments is taking the easy way out. As if the use of fertility drugs and treatments is this magical solution. Testing, drugs, baby. YAY!!!

Sure, some people have great success with surgery, medication, and/or assisted reproductive technologies. Of course they do. And I pray every day that we will be one of those very lucky couples that have success in a relatively short amount of time (well actually, right now I'm mostly praying that we have success this cycle). But the reality is that these treatments don't work for everyone right away. It takes a lot of time and a lot of money and a ridiculous amount of mental and emotional suffering and strength to reach their goal of conceiving a child.

When people act like fertility treatments are no big deal and that they erase all of the worry, it really pisses me off. Just deciding whether or not we want to do anything has been one of the most difficult decisions I have ever tried to make. One doctor says "try this", another doctor say "try that", the internet says "you're fucked". It's scary and confusing and it's not something that a sane person would ever take lightly. I can't even imagine how I will feel if we decide that we need/want to seek help next month (or ever). To imply that undergoing fertility treatments is taking the easy way out really minimizes the mental, emotional, physical, and financial strain that people who use them have to endure.

Okay, bitchfest over.

On a happy note, I got my CH's this morning! Woohoo! Maybe this month will be different :)


No comments:

Post a Comment