Monday, July 15, 2013

2nd Anniversary

Well, we're back from Orlando. We had an AWESOME time! It was so nice to take a break together and Harry Potter world was everything that I hoped it would be. I'm going to post a review and some pictures later on, but today is our second wedding anniversary so I'm going to AW some wedding pictures instead!

Seth and I got married in Guatemala, which is where he grew up and where most of his family and friends still live. Luckily he came to the U.S. for college, which is how we ended up meeting (long story). We are so lucky to have such wonderful families and friends, because many people were able to travel to be at our wedding. It was and probably always will be one of the happiest days of my life.

That's me and my sister Boo at the top. She was my maid of
honor. Behind me in the bottom picture are my three sisters. We
love this photo because Boo looks like a badass and my
older sister is making a "threatening fist motion".
My family and I were staying at a hotel across town from where the wedding ceremony and reception were going to take place. Seth and I wanted to do a "first look" so a few hours before the ceremony, I hopped in a 14 passenger van and headed over to the other hotel. No limo or party bus for me!


The main reason that Seth and I decided to have our pictures taken before the ceremony was because we wanted to spend as much of our wedding day together as possible. I have zero regrets about the way we did it. I remember being so anxious just to see him and as soon as we were together I felt so relieved. My mom asked me if Seth gave me drugs because I'm usually a pretty anxious person.

  
 

That picture is awesome because you can see the ruins. The hotel that we were married at was a monastery built in the 14th or 15th century. It was mostly destroyed by earthquakes, I think in the 1700s, and then later they preserved what they could and turned the rest of the grounds into a hotel. It's an amazing place.

  

Here's a picture of the church. The altar was preserved, but most of the other walls and the ceiling collapsed from the earthquakes so it's pretty much an outdoor church now. Another really amazing place. All of the paintings and the statues behind the altar are really beautiful.


This is another favorite photo. It cracks us up every time we look at it. We're not really sure why everyone looks so horrified - check out my Gram and some of my uncles in the background. It could have been when the priest's cell phone rang or maybe when the microphone started making a weird sound.


No idea what we were laughing at here.

Success!
I made and supplied a lot of the decorations for the ceremony and reception myself (with some help from Seth). It was so much fun for me. Our cake topper was one of my favorite things - two little wooden dolls painted to look like us. The table numbers turned out great too. I did also did all of the paper stuff - programs, menus, favor tags - and I had to do everything in English and Spanish!

 

I think it all turned out awesome and the reception room was stunning. It's another partially destroyed room so some of the walls are still built from the original stone. They light candles everywhere and it was just perfect.


After being engaged for 18 months and planning for about 12 months, we finally partied! 


I love that picture. The confetti was a fun surprise for everyone, including me, and I love that you can see how much fun all of my cousins are having. It was a really awesome day. Funny story - the jumbotron that came with the DJ was also a surprise to me. It was a super surprise when Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" started playing complete with Titanic music video. That wasn't on our playlist. Even though Seth speaks Spanish fluently, I don't think he speaks wedding in any language so a few things got lost in translation. We made the best of it though - ever seen the video for Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up"? We really know how to party.


4 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! Your wedding photos are beautiful! (I am krdesi from the bump...just so I don't seem like a creeper!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks krdesi! And don't worry - I creep on your blog too :)

      Delete
  2. Happy anniversary!! Your photos are absolutely beautiful, and you are stunning!!

    ReplyDelete